This position requires US Citizenship and a Public Trust Security Clearance prior to start.
The Network Engineer will work on multiple programs and initiatives. The Network Engineer will support the management and implementation of IP network solutions. Work independently on projects from start to finish, including developing network designs based upon user requirements, creating network diagrams using Visio, configuring network equipment, and full implementation follow-through and documentation of requirements.
The selected individual must be capable of supporting after-hours events during the week and occasionally on weekends.
- Work directly with IXC Deployment Team, IXC Engineering, Telco design engineers, and Telco Carrier Provisioning personnel to accurately document circuit designs.
- Ensure Carrier HUBs and circuits are accurately recorded in design (MetaSolv/DICE) and operations (FINS, FMS, etc.) toolsets and ensure FTI-POP design documentation accurately reflects as-built configurations.
- Document design deviations and/or discrepancies and submit ClearQuest PTRs to capture design changes and/or corrections with circuit designs.
- Support scheduled planned maintenance events (Moves, Adds, Changes) and direct field technicians with the installation and activation of SONET, ancillary equipment and circuits.
- Work directly with Telco Carrier and field technicians to isolate and resolve issues with new circuit activations.
- Follow MetaSolv/DICE workflow processes and update IXC circuit database during IXC circuit installations, activation, changes and/or disconnects as needed.
- Provision IXC circuits using Cisco Prime Optical (CPO) or Cisco Transport Controller (CTC) and configure ancillary equipment for delivery of sub-rate circuits (e.g., RAD RICi-16/EGATE-100, Cisco ASR1002/1001-X router port configurations including T3/T1 SIP/SPA, DNX-11/88 port configurations, etc.).
- Ensure circuits are provisioned IAW circuit design documentation and resolve discrepancies before circuits are released to the customer.
- Interface directly with internal and external customers and provide technical assistance with service activation and circuit verification testing.
- Monitor and identify optical network alarms and proactively investigate and identify the root cause to minimize disruption and impact to operational circuits.
- Provide recommendations for improving processes and procedures and assist in the maintenance and upgrades of controlled documentation.
- Support scheduled maintenance events during normal operating hours and after hours/weekends as needed.
- Assist in the collection of data needed to perform analysis of network issues.
- Assist with the execution of test procedures and provide feedback to ensure procedural steps are correct.
- A Bachelors Degree in a related field and a minimum of 4 years of prior relevant experience OR an Associates Degree and a minimum of 8 years of prior related experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in the FTI PNOCC troubleshooting and restoring network outages.
- Thorough understanding of NAS Operations ticket management and scheduled maintenance processes and procedures.
- Capable of following detailed instructions and completing assigned tasks on-schedule.
- Work with minimal direct supervision.
- Have acute attention to detail and a thorough familiarity with all circuit types and transport technologies.
- Possess a strong technical understanding of Gigabit Ethernet/Fast Ethernet, DS1/T1, DS3, VT1.5, VTV, STS1, STSV and OC3-OC192 circuit types as well as familiarity with existing processes and procedures associated in provisioning and acceptance testing of these circuit types.
- Have a thorough understanding of trouble ticket, ticket management, and Change Management processes and procedures.
- Experience with Cisco Prime Optical (CPO) and Cisco Transport Controller (CTC) Fujitsu NetSmart.
- Prefer 3 or more years of experience working with SONET equipment and Optical Circuits. Specifically, with Cisco ONS-15310, ONS-15454 and Fujitsu Flashwave 4500/9500 platforms.
- Experience with MetaSolv and DICE preferred.
- MEF-CECP certification preferred.