Solar Winds System Engineer
Please note that this position requires a DoD Secret Security Clearance prior to start.
The main function of a systems engineer is to apply the principles of computer science and mathematical analysis to the design, development, testing, and evaluation of the software and systems that make computers work. A typical systems engineer analyzes user needs, and then designs, tests, and develops software to meet those needs. Using a holistic approach, designs, develops, evaluates and modifies end-to-end systems and systems-oriented products through their entire life cycle. Generates quantifiable requirements based on customer description, system planning and design, and acquisition logistics.
- Ensures requirements comply with client requirements and government standards through formal verification methods.
- Translates high level product development strategies into system requirement specifications and works with other engineering disciplines to develop lower level detailed implementation requirements.
- Establishes and coordinates development of standards, practices, and procedures as related to the overall product development.
- Designs interfaces and brings system elements together so they work as a whole.
- Assesses performance using evaluation criteria and technical performance measures.
- Customer liaison and support for business development activities and to understand and shape requirements.
- Participates in system conceptual design and documentation of the design concepts.
- Translates high level product development strategies into system requirement specifications and works with multi-discipline engineering teams to develop lower level detailed requirements.
- Participates in design reviews of components (hardware and software) to ensure applicability to the current system and traceability of requirements through compliance verification and validation.
- Generates system level requirements verification procedures and customer acceptance test procedures.
- Reviews test plans/procedures and ensures they meet the objectives of the contractual requirements and participates in the testing process to validate requirements.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes.
- Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database to management system or direct others in coding descriptions.
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations.
- Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
- 5-7 years of related experience (Solar Winds System Engineering)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, software engineering or relevant field required.
- Career level with a complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts. Working under only general direction, provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage one’s time.
- Basic mentoring skills necessary to provide support and constructive performance feedback.
- Knowledge of the full software development lifecycle: from business/systems analysis, through requirements gathering and functional specification authoring, to development, testing and delivery.
- Ability to troubleshoot issues and make system changes as needed to resolve issue.
- Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, electronic equipment and computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge of computer development software across multiple platforms.
- Must have ability a DoD Secret Clearance prior to start. TCI will assist with clearance transfer.